Re: free text searching

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)>
Date: Tue Aug 24 2004 - 19:54:46 GMT
On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 12:08:46PM -0700, mpeters wrote:
> > Suppose I have many XML files with the following structure:
> >
> >    <record>
> >      <title>oranges</title>
> >      <description>a tangy fruit</description>
> >    </record>
> >
> > Furthermore, suppose I instruct swish to index the title element as a
> > field.
> >
> > Now, is there a way to search a swish index for the word oranges
> > *without* telling the search engine to look in the title field? In
> > other words, I want to do something like this and retrieve my record:
> >
> >    swish-e -w oranges
> By default this will search for it anywhere: title, description,
> whatever.

No, that's only correct for HTML where the contents of the HTML title
tag happens to be indexed under the metaname swishdefault.

If you say:

   MetaNames record title description

then swish-e -w record=foo will search everything within <record>.  Or
you can limit with swish-e -w title=foo to just search <title>

Use the above MetaNames and index with -T indexed_words to see what

Help with Swish-e: