Re: reversibility of MetaNameAlias

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Thu Aug 12 2004 - 17:37:09 GMT
On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 04:32:47PM +0100, Jonas Wolf wrote:
> There is no problem with remembering the aliases, but the real reason I
> want to use path instead of swishpath is that I want to use this name as a
> value passed in the query string for sorting the results, and I'd rather
> use the simple 'path' and so on instead of the swish-ed names.

PropertyNameAlias swishdocpath path

swish-e -w foo -s path

> Another reason I ask is that within the different indexes, these meta
> names may be defined differently. For example, in one index I may have XML
> data which contains a <description></description> tag which I would like
> to use as my abstract for that index. So if our main config file would
> contain
>
> MetaNames path title author group abstract body
>
> then in our subindex I would like to define
>
> MetaNameAlias abstract description
>
> to tell swish-e that I want to use the description tag as my abstract,
> which does not work because it is the wrong way around, i.e. as
> <abstract></abstract> is never encountered, no information is stored for
> this meta name.
>
> So currently I have to define all the meta names in every configuration
> file, so in this example the subindex defines
>
> MetaNames swishdocpath swishtitle author group description body
> MetNameAlias description abstract
>
> which is a bit annoying, I'd prefer to define the common elements once and
> for all.

I'm still not getting it.

You make up some name that you want to use site-wide.  Say, you have a
tag you want to search called "abstract".

    MetaNames abstract

Then you realize that you have some docs where it's also called
"description".  Then you do:

    MetaNameAlias abstract description

Later you realize your content creators have messed things up once
again and are now calling it "summary" so you update your config and
reindex:

    MetaNameAlias abstract description summary

Now, you still use "abstract" in all of your config settings, but when
indexing docs all three tags mean the same thing.

Now, your manager comes along and says that they want to standardize
on Dublin Core and wants to use "dc.description" when searching the
description|abstract|summary so you do:

    MetaNameAlias abstract description summary dc.description

and then you can search

   swish-e -w dc.description=foo

So, sorry for being so thick but can you explain again why that
doesn't work?