Re: warning: Failed to convert internal UTF-8 to Latin-1

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Thu Aug 12 2004 - 00:26:52 GMT
On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 03:54:13PM -0700, Jacob Friis Larsen wrote:
> Well now I get "warning: Failed to convert internal UTF-8 to Latin-1".
>
> I use Php and convert UTF8 to Latin-1, but that doesn't seem to be enough.
> Should I also use htmlentities($text) which will convert all applicable
> characters to HTML entities?

There's nothing you can do.  You likely have a character that doesn't map
to Latin-1.

libxml2 uses converts to UTF-8 internally and that's what the libxml2
parser outputs.  Swish only knows how to deal with 8-bit chars so it
has to convert to an 8-bit encoding, and libxml2 provides a function
to convert from UTF-8 to Latin-1.  Not all UTF-8 can be converted to
Latin-1, of course.