Re: Incrmental indexing

From: Peter Karman <karman(at)not-real.cray.com>
Date: Tue Jul 27 2004 - 12:04:59 GMT
If by "incremental" you mean creating an index where files newer than N
are indexed, see the -N option.

You can merge two or more indexes with the -M option.

What swish does NOT support, though it has often been asked for, is the
kind of "incremental" indexing where an existing index is modified
(updated with new files, non-existent files removed, etc.). You use the
-N (or other scheme of your choosing) and then the -M option to merge.

For example, you might create a weekly index of everything, then a daily
index of only files that have changed since the master index was last
updated. You could then merge the two indexes.

See the -N option for a better (more complete) example:

http://swish-e.org/current/docs/SWISH-RUN.html#INDEXING

--
Peter Karman - Software Publications Engineer - Cray Inc
phone: 651-605-9009 - mailto:karman@cray.com