Re: wildcard bug in 2.4.2?

From: Kees Cook <kees(at)not-real.osdl.org>
Date: Thu Jul 22 2004 - 20:49:58 GMT
On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 01:36:11PM -0700, Bill Moseley wrote:
> > swish-e -w 'from=*@osdl.org' -f /data1/index_swish-e
> > # SWISH format: 2.4.2
> > # Search words: from=*@osdl.org
> > # Removed stopwords:
> > err: Wildcard not allowed within a word
>
> Believe the error message.
>
> Wild cards are at the end of words.

Okay, my bad.  I just read through a bunch of posts to the mailing list
too, and I see that only a trailing wildcard is currently recognized.

Is there anything I can do to the search parser code, to make this happen,
no matter how brute-force?  I can't afford to regenerate indexes with
reversed strings right now.  It took 6 days to generate the indexes: 64
indexes for about 140G worth of text.  :)

And, additionally, is there a way to test for the _existence_ of a meta
field, no matter what the contents?  For example, "from=*" would only hit
when a "from" meta was there?  (This will let me distinguish between email
and non-email in my indexes.)

Thanks very much!

--
Kees Cook