Re: New to SWISH-E (help with numeric search term)

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Mon Jul 19 2004 - 19:12:14 GMT
On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 11:52:33AM -0700, MITCHELL TEIXEIRA wrote:
> Example:
>  part number 2708 can be referenced simply by "2708" or "XY-2708", "XY2708",
> "3P-2708", etc.  Searching with 2708 as the search term works, but searching
> with the prefix blows it.

Can you define blows it?  Showing actual searches will be more
helpful.

You need to understand how swish-e indexes, and use of the "-T
indexed_word" option will be very helpful in that regard.  Also, use
-H9 when searching and look for "Parsed Words:" header -- that will
show you what words swish-e is looking for (which would need to match
up with the word in the index).

For example, note how swish-e is splitting that part number on
indexing:

moseley@bumby:~$ echo "3P-2708" > parts
moseley@bumby:~$ swish-e -i parts -v0 -T indexed_words
    Adding:[1:swishdefault(1)]   '3p'   Pos:5  Stuct:0x9 ( BODY FILE )
    Adding:[1:swishdefault(1)]   '2708'   Pos:6  Stuct:0x9 ( BODY FILE )

And also on searching:

moseley@bumby:~$ swish-e -H9 -w "3P-2708" | grep Parsed
# Parsed Words: 3p 2708

So you can search by either "word"

moseley@bumby:~$ swish-e -H9 -w 3P -H0
1000 parts "parts" 8
moseley@bumby:~$ swish-e -H9 -w 2708 -H0
1000 parts "parts" 8

Whic may or may not be what you want.

> We have too many alpha prefixes to try to index them all with the numeric
> portion.  I'd like a little help/hint on how to configure my SWISH-E or how
> better to improve my indexing.  Reviewing the docs, I suspect what I want
> has something to do with stemming, but I get the idea that may only work
> with words?

Hum, not sure I follow.  Anyway, explain how you want to be able to
search for parts and the format of your part numbers and maybe we can
come up with some idea.  You might find an SQL search is more in line
with what you are trying to do.