(no subject)

From: Bill Pavich <BPavich(at)not-real.nctimes.com>
Date: Mon Jun 21 2004 - 22:00:13 GMT
Hello everyone. Having a merge problem here.
Running swish-e 2.4.1 on a Solaris (sparc) 2.9 box. Everything is
working fine, until now.=20
I use swish-e to create an index of pdf files each night that were
created that previous day. I store each day's index files in a folder on
disk. I allow folks to search these daily indexes. But, I have been
creating a merged "master" index of all of these daily indexes each
night using the -M merge index feature. This allows folks to search the
entire collection of daily indexes instead of just being limited to one
particular day. Basically, it's a:

Swish-e -M /opt/vnews-index/vnews??????.index
/opt/vnews-index/vnews-master.index

This has worked fine for the past couple of months, but I am now  up to
130 individual index files and when the merge process runs, I get the
following error from swish-e

err: Index file error: Could not open the index file
'/opt/vnews-index/vnews061804.index': Too many open files

Sounds like swish-e is running out of file handles? Does anyone have any
ideas? I can't just keep recreating a master index each night, that
would take increasingly too much time as days go by. Any ideas? Is there
a better way to accomplish what I'm trying to do?

Thanks.

to a plain text message.