Re: swish-e and rebooting

From: David L Norris <dave(at)not-real.webaugur.com>
Date: Mon Jun 14 2004 - 15:47:56 GMT
On Mon, 2004-06-14 at 07:36 -0700, Weir James K Contr ASC/ENOI wrote:
> When I first run swish-e after rebooting this is the error I get.
> swish-search.exe - Application Error : The instruction at "0x00000052" referenced memory at "0x00000052". The memory could not be "read".
> Next step is to remove Zlib.dll from the winnt/system32 folder
> Then reinstall swish-e and everything works until I reboot again.

Move zlib.dll to the directory where you installed SWISH-E and see if
that helps.  If it does then let me know.  If it does not also let me
know.  Some other program running on your system may be loading its own
incompatible version of zlib.dll at boot.

> Has anyone else seen this problem and if so do you have a solution to the problem?

I've not seen the problem.  Others have.  It's probably related to the
way Windows loads DLLs.  (i.e. any copy of zlib.dll would be treated as
equivalent to any other and only loaded into memory once.)  Whichever
program that runs first will use its own version of zlib.dll and Windows
may or may not unload it after the program exits.

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/