RE: Error Message: Index file error: Could not open

From: Peter Karman <karman(at)not-real.cray.com>
Date: Wed Jun 09 2004 - 20:47:04 GMT
We'll assume you've read the documentation:

in particular the PDF stuff:

and the FAQ:

Eh, but I just want to know how to index PDF documents!

See the examples in the conf directory and the comments in the
SwishSpiderConfig.pl file.

See the previous question for the details on filtering. The method you
decide to use will depend on how fast you want to index, and your
comfort level with using Perl modules.

Regardless of the filtering method you use you will need to install the
Xpdf packages available from http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/.

Assuming you've read all that, and can't make headway, send along what
you've tried so far.

Kaplan, Andrew H. wrote on 6/9/04 2:16 PM:

> Hi there --
> I have made some progress. The swish-e program is able to find Word documents in
> the directory being indexed. Now I am
> trying to get it to find the pdf files that are there. Unfortunately I am
> drawing a blank on what files need to be used
> and configured to get that done. FYI -- I installed version 2.4.1 onto the
> system.
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Bill Moseley [mailto:moseley@hank.org]
> Sent: Monday, June 07, 2004 1:06 PM
> To: Kaplan, Andrew H.
> Subject: Re: Error Message: Index file error: Could not open
> On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 11:59:52AM -0400, Kaplan, Andrew H. wrote:
>>Hi there --
>>This is really pathetic, but can you give me a step-by-step process on how
>>you got swish-e (2.4.2) to work on your server? I don't know what else to
>>do at this point. HEEEELLLLLPPPP!!!!!
> I just followed the instructions.  Maybe go back and read my previous
> responses.
> Good luck.
>>-----Original Message-----
>>From: Bill Moseley [mailto:moseley@hank.org]
>>Sent: Monday, June 07, 2004 11:19 AM
>>To: Kaplan, Andrew H.
>>Subject: Re: Error Message: Index file error: Could not open
>>On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 10:50:45AM -0400, Kaplan, Andrew H. wrote:
>>>I ran the spider.pl script with the following syntax:
>>>
>>>./spider.pl default http://132.183.12.176/radonckbmain.htm >
>>>/home/ahk/output.txt
>>>
>>>I had not created a configuration file for spider.pl but according to the
>>>documentation,
>>>the above syntax was supposed to work.
>>>
>>>Although a file was created, it was zero bytes in size. Also, I encountered
>>>the following
>>>error message:
>>>
>>>Can't locate object export method "export_to_level" via package MP3::Tag at
>>>/usr/local/lib/swish-e/perl/SWISH/Filter.pm line 662.
>>>FYI - MP3::Tag was installed successfully prior to swish-e being installed.
>>A quick search of the archive turns up this:
>>  http://swish-e.org/Discussion/archive/2003-11/6395.html
>>>Regarding the pdf and word files, which configuration file filters these
>>>types of files that will allow them to be indexed? The xpdf
>>>and catdoc programs are installed.
>>Spider uses SWISH::Filter, and SWISH::Filter should detect xpdf and