Re: SWISH::Stemmer or ....

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Wed Jun 02 2004 - 13:28:43 GMT
On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 08:30:19PM -0700, Greg Fenton wrote:
> Looking at the FAQ, it says:
>
>     The Swish-e stemming code is available either by using the Swish-e
>     Perl module or C library (included with the swish-e distribution),
>     or by using the SWISH::Stemmer module available on CPAN.
>
> So I wonder, should I be using SWISH::Stemmer or, what is meant by
> "using the Swish-e Perl module" ?

I guess that "Long answer" isn't long enough.  It means the SWISH::API
module -- as the SWISH::API (and thus the C library) have functions to
call into the swish-e stemming code.

Before the C interface and SWISH::API existed I pulled the stemming code
out of swish and created SWISH::Stemmer as a stand-alone module.   And
when the highlighting code was first written that's all there was
available.

Another problem is that the highlighting code currently doesn't have any
way to know if SWISH::API is being used, or if the swish-e binary is
being used.  The highlighting module could use some updating.

Another problem is that the there's more than just one stemmer in swish
now, and SWISH::Stemmer is just the old Porter code.