RE: search.cgi updates

From: Rob de Santos AFANA <rdesantos(at)not-real.afana.com>
Date: Tue Jun 01 2004 - 22:47:32 GMT
> So, I'm wondering if the script is too simple, or if it's
> good the way it currently is:
>
> 1) Should I pull out the template from the __DATA__ section
> and place the template in a separate file -- or possibly a
> few template files so a site's layout/design can be more
> easily included?  If the script runs under SpeedyCGI or
> mod_perl then the template needs be in a separate file.

I'd prefer it in a separate file.  It makes understanding the code
easier from my perspective and allows a user to change the template and
leave the "code" alone.

> 2) The script doesn't include many features like being able
> to limit searches by meta names or select sort order.  Are
> those features common enough that they should be included?  I
> don't want it to be a drop-in replacement for swish.cgi --
> it's suppose to be just a skeleton used as a starting point
> for programmers -- but I can see providing a few extra
> features might be nice.

Some additional features to take advantage of the core functionality of
Swish-e make sense but no more than that.  So, the idea to add search by
meta names and select sort order are reasonable.

> 3) swish.cgi has two example templates (for use with HTML::Template
and Template-
> Toolkit).  One is named swish.tmpl (for HTML::Template) but the other
is named
> search.tt (for Template-Toolkit).  That's unfortunate naming since it
would seem
> like search.tt would work with search.cgi, which it doesn't.
>
> So, see any reason why search.tt shouldn't be renamed to swish.tt?
> It could cause some grief for anyone using search.tt in the default
install
> location, especially if search.tt was used for #1 above.  But, I
wonder if it won't
> cause more confusion for those trying to use search.cgi when first
starting out.

I think it would much easier to understand if the naming scheme was
consistent.  I'd much prefer it was named swish.tt

Regards,

-Rob de Santos
-Columbus, Ohio USA
Chairman of the Board,
Australian Football Association of North America (AFANA)
ph: 1-888-4AFANA1 (North America) (1-888-423-2621)
ph: 1-614-338-0002 (outside NA)
e-mail: rdesantos(at)not-real.afana.com   web: <http://www.afana.com>
Contents of this message may not be posted
to the web or "blogged" without prior permission.