New SMAN version 0.8.9 released

From: Josh Rabinowitz <joshr-swishe(at)not-real.joshr.com>
Date: Mon May 31 2004 - 13:38:17 GMT
Hello Everyone,

Sman version 0.8.9 has been released. Sman is a 'man -k' and
'apropos' replacement based on perl and SWISH-E.

Sman can be found at http://joshr.com/src/sman

I'll be talking about Sman and other SWISH-E uses at my YAPC::NA and
Usenix talks this summer, you can find more about them here:
http://joshr.com/html/articles_by_joshr.html

 From the Sman README file:
What is sman?
     Sman is the Searcher for Man pages. Based on the example of the
     same name in Josh Rabinowitz's article "How To Index Anything"
     in the July, 2003 issue of Linux Journal
     (http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=6652), sman is
     an enhanced version of 'apropos' and 'man -k'.  Sman adds
     several key abilities over its predecessors:

     * Supports complex natural language text searches such as
         "(linux and kernel) or (mach and microkernel)"

     * Shows results in a ranked order

     * Allows for searches by manpage section, title,
         body, or filename

     * Indexes the complete contents of the man page, not just
         the title and description

     * Uses a prebuilt index to perform fast searches

     * Performs 'stemming' so that a search for "searches"
       will match a document with the word "searching"

Where do I get sman?
     Sman is currently distributed from http://joshr.com/src/sman.

 From the Changes file:
0.8.9  Mon May 31 2004
         Updated TODO, fixed copyright year and some typos in README
         Fixed typos in comments in sman-defaults.conf
         Get version string for perl, not its API version
           in Sman::Util::GetVersionString
         Consider output of choice of MANCMD verbose

As always, bug reports, patches, and feedback welcome!
Best
     joshr

-- Josh Rabinowitz                           joshr-swishe@joshr.com --
-- SkateboardDirectory.com(tm)      http://SkateboardDirectory.com/ --