Re: science quotations (resources for learning swiah)

From: David L Norris <dave(at)not-real.webaugur.com>
Date: Sat May 22 2004 - 02:04:00 GMT
On Fri, 2004-05-21 at 18:06, Bill Moseley wrote:
> The swish-e docs will explain (mostly) how to use swish-e, but you will
> need to look elsewhere for information on setting up a Windows machine
> to run the scripts.

I do wish someone who has done this would write some or any
documentation.  I have no clue whatsoever how IIS works, unfortunately.

> BTW -- do any versions of Windows ship with a SSH client?

Nope.  Microsoft suggests using F-Secure SSH with Microsoft's Windows
Services for UNIX (freely downloadable, sorta).  Microsoft's SFU partner
page says F-Secure SSH "integrates" somehow into SFU.
  http://www.microsoft.com/windows/sfu/
  http://www.f-secure.com/products/ssh/

I've used both SFU and F-Secure.  SFU appears to be Xenix ported to
Windows.  I was never able to keep F-Secure SSH running for more than 15
minutes or so.

> I had to download putty on a friends machine the other day just to connec=
t to
> another machine.

PuTTY is rather nice.  The preferences are a mess but the program is
nice.  It also builds on Linux and UNIX if you like.

> He made me delete putty after I was done because he
> though it was a security risk having it installed.

The information superhighway, 500 million drunk drivers and counting.=20
<sigh>  Maybe you should switch to Microsoft Telnet?  Why, it uses NTLM
authentication so it's surely secure!  Err.  ;-)

--=20
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/
  ICQ - 412039