Re: science quotations (resources for learning swiah)

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Fri May 21 2004 - 23:06:41 GMT
On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 11:55:04AM -0700, Carl Gaither wrote:
> Hello to the list,
>
> I don't mind spending the time to learn what I need to learn, but I need
> to get an idea of where to go to find out what I need to learn.
> Something with examples is always nice.

Are you planning on using Swish-e on Windows XP?  People here that use
Windows might be able to offer more guidance, but you may find that the
swish-e docs discuss mostly a unix-type environment.   I think many
experienced Windows users still find it a challenge to get things
running on Windows.  For one thing, all the standard tools that are on
most unix-type systems will need to be installed on Windows.  If you
intend to use Perl, then that has to be installed, then you need to
install extra modules.  Plus, the Windows web server (IIS?) works
differently than, say, Apache, and we have seen posts on this list about
the trouble getting the CGI scripts running on IIS.

You might be better off looking for another tool that works on Windows.
Doesn't IIS come with "Information Indexer" or some such thing?

The swish-e docs will explain (mostly) how to use swish-e, but you will
need to look elsewhere for information on setting up a Windows machine
to run the scripts.

BTW -- do any versions of Windows ship with a SSH client?  I had to
download putty on a friends machine the other day just to connect to
another machine.  He made me delete putty after I was done because he
though it was a security risk having it installed.