Re: Science Quotations

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Wed May 19 2004 - 21:32:47 GMT
On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 02:18:00PM -0700, Carl Gaither wrote:
> Hello to the list again,
>
> I can, with relative ease, provide the following format.
> I hymn the lowly enema,
> </quote><reference>The Medical Muse
> </record>

That's fine, although you want it well-formed (use ending tags) and
escape <br> inside the <quote> block.
I'd just use a newline instead of <br> because <br> is
html presentation and not really related to the data, but it's not big
deal.

The reason I was suggesting a simpler format than xml was to reduce the
need to install additional Perl modules required for parsing the xml.

> While this isn't laid out neatly I am going to be able to insert any
> fields that you need. Do you require a unique ID field for each
> quotation?

No.  Only if you want to have a unique way to identify a specific quote.

> Is there any problem if the field is blank. For example, I
> don't have a date of birth for everyone at this time nor do I have the
> copyright information in a format to include at this time.

Nope, no problem.

> How do I go
> about indexing new entries as they are input at later times? Should I
> worry about these things now or just get the 9000 quotations formatted
> as I have?

It should only take a minute to index all 9000 entires.  If that.

What platform are you using.  You may need to install additional Perl
modules if you use the Perl search code.  There's also some PHP code
around, but I have never used it.