Using SWISH-E with Quotations

From: Carl Gaither <cgaither628(at)not-real.earthlink.net>
Date: Wed May 19 2004 - 19:25:37 GMT
Hello to the list,

I have one file of the quotations, let's call it BigfFile that has all
of the quotations.  I will provide an example in just a moment, but i
want to try and explain how things are set up.  This file is a MSWord
2000 file.  The quotations look like the following:

HEAT
Baumel, Judith
Think of the complexity
of temperature, quantification
of that elusive quality "heat."
Tonight, for instance,
your hands are colder than mine.
Someone could measure
more precisely than we
the nature of this relationship.

The Weight of Numbers

Fibonacci

Flanders, Michael
Swann, Donald
You can't pass heat from a cooler to a hotter.
Try if you like, you far better notter,
'cause the cold in the cooler will get hotter as a ruler,
'cause the hotter body's heat will pass to the cooler.

At the Drop of Another Hat

The First and Second Law

Heat is work and work's a curse
And all the heat in the universe
Is gonna cool down
Because it can't increase.

At the Drop of Another Hat

The First and Second Law

Fourier, (Jean Baptiste-) Joseph
Heat, like gravity, penetrates every substance of the universe, its rays
occupy all parts of space.  The object of our work is to set forth the
mathematical laws which this element obeys.  The theory of heat will
hereafter form one of the most important branches of general physics.

Analytical Theory of Heat

Preliminary Discourse

..a very extensive class of phenomena exists, not produced by
mechanical forces, but resulting simply from the presence and
accumulation of heat.  This part of natural philosophy cannot be
connected with dynamical theories, it has principles peculiar to itself,
and is founded on a method similar to that of other exact sciences.

The Analytical Theory of Heat (p. 23)

Note that I only have the authors name at the first quote.  If there are
multiple quotations by an author pertaining to a  topic then I have just
included the author's name for the beginning quotation.  All of the
documentation is set to the right of the quotation.  The title of the
source is in italics.  All other information is not italized.  However,
in the body of a quotation there could be italics.

My desire would be for each and all quotations that have the keyword
within the quotation returned.  Hence the reader would be able to read
the entire quotation.  For example, if the search word was "science"
then all of the quotations in the file which had the word "science"
within the quotation would be returned.  However, I would not like for a
quotation to be returned from the search if the word "science" was
located in the documentation information, that is, the information that
is offset to the right and at the bottom of the quotation.  I would like
for a search to be made on the authors name and then have any quotation
returned that had that author.  Right now the author's name would be on
a line above the quotation.

For the MS Word document, I have all of the quotations on one word
file.  Yes, it is large,  as it has about 11,000 quotations and it will
grow with time.

I can do whatever is required to format each quotation that will
simplify the search.  Hence, to have a field for author, quote, and
citation is nothing more than some formatting for me to do with the
quotations.

Speaking of fields, I am most desirous of having a field where I can
place the copyright information for the source.  However, it will not be
true that every quotation will have information in the copyright field.
Thus, if there is information there I would like for it to be returned
and printed with the citation.

Also, as indicated, I would like for the search word(s) to be
highlighted in the returned quotation.

Next, I have a second source for the quotations.  Quotations in this
form appear as:

<!-- FreeFind Listing --><p><b>
Think of the complexity

<!-- FreeFind Listing --><p><b>
Flanders, Michael
You can't pass heat from a cooler to a hotter.

<!-- FreeFind Listing --><p><b>
Flanders, Michael
Heat is work and work's a curse

<!-- FreeFind Listing --><p><b>
Heat, like gravity, penetrates every substance of the universe, its rays
occupy all parts of space.  The object of our work is to set forth the
mathematical laws which this element obeys.  The theory of heat will
hereafter form one of the most important branches of general physics.

These quotation are presently at http://angelfire.com/tx/StatBook.  I am
going to have the quotations at that site only until I can make
arrangements to relocate them as I have all sorts of advertisment
popping up.

The requirements from a search are the same as for the search results
from the MS Word file.  However, at angelfire.com the quotations are
stored in 26 different files, a_quotes.html through z_quotes.html.  Each
of the 26 files contains quotations that have topics for that file
letter.  Thus, there will be hundreds of quotations in each of the file.

I am most willing to undertake any and all work for formatting the
quotations so that the indexing work will be simplified.  I am just
wanting a fine search result for the user as this is going to be the
only set of science quotations that is this large.  My initial interest
is to get the quotations established onto the WEB so that others can
access them in the form that I would like them to be displayed.  My
interest in working with the MS Word file is simply for my own interest
as it would then allow me to have access to the quotations when I travel
and do not have access to the internet.

Thanking all in advance for reading all of this.

to a plain text message.