Re: SWISH-E Ideas

From: David L Norris <dave(at)not-real.webaugur.com>
Date: Tue May 11 2004 - 01:56:46 GMT
On Mon, 2004-05-10 at 11:48, Markus Peter wrote:
> 1) Modifying properties
> It would be nice to be able to modify properties in an index without=20
> re-indexing even with SWISH-E running non-incrementally.
>
> We use SWISH-E to index mails. For the user, it's not that big a problem,=
=20
> if newer mails are not included in the index yet, but it's annoying if he=
=20
> uses the search system to actually delete mails which then still show up =
in=20
> the search results.

As you say, you can store a flag externally to mark deleted items.  The
front-end could check if the item still exists before adding it to the
results.  This complicates the front-end slightly but it works great if
well implemented.  And you don't have to worry about index corruption
caused by continuously modifications.  (Nor the file locking and atomic
operation concerns this raises.)

> 2) Modifying the ranking dynamically
> It would be nice if a property could be assigned via the config file whic=
h=20
> influences the ranking of a document.

Something like MetaNamesRank?
http://swish-e.org/current/docs/SWISH-CONFIG.html#item_MetaNamesRank

The docs claim this is not supported.  However, the docs are incorrect.

--=20
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/
  ICQ - 412039