Re: Problems indexing german umlauts

From: Sven Schupp <sven.schupp(at)not-real.gmx.net>
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 14:20:26 GMT
Hi,

Bill Moseley wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 25, 2004 at 09:12:22PM -0700, Jignesh Jani wrote:
>
>>Hello Experts,
>>
>>I am facing problem in indexing German Umlauts, problem is swish-e =
>>converts all the characters in 7-bit ASCII format. Hence when i try to =
>>search a word containing umlauts i am not able to find it all the time. =
>>I know about Translate Chars. But i need to do something more with it. =
>>Is it possible to make swish-e work with 8-bit encoding.
>

> Probably.  Add the Umlauts to WordCharacters (and to BeginCharacters and
> EndCharacters if you expect it at the start or end of a word).

I am facing a problem only if an umlaut is the first char of a word.

As an example, we have a word "Überbrückungsgeld".

If I try to search for "Überbrückungsgeld" swish-e gives me no results.
But if I search for "überbrückungsgeld" it'll give me a list with all
hits. Surprisingly all occurrances of this word have an big "Ü" as the
first char!

So, does anybody have a hint for me, why swish-e doesn't find the word
as it is written?

ciao,
sven