Failed to uncompress Property. zlib uncompress returned: -5 (was: wondering why?, Updated)

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Mon May 03 2004 - 17:29:05 GMT
On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 03:28:25AM -0700, Weir James K Contr ASC/ENOI wrote:
> Well I finished re-indexing the whole thing. There is a lot of data out there.
> I ran the same search and it came back with the same results
> Warning: Failed to uncompress Property. zlib uncompress returned: -5.  uncompressed size: 14899107 buf_len: 1243796

Again, my guess there is that the property file is being written or read
incorrectly because I don't believe those numbers.  I need to modify the
source to generate more info on that error, like which file number and
property is causing the problem.  I'd guess a signed integer overflow,
but those numbers don't really show that.

> I have two indexes setup one for Stemming_en2 and this one works
> And one for Metaphone this one does not work.

It could be that which stemming mode you are using effect the number of
words just enough to make the problem show up.

  swish-e -T index_header | grep 'Total Words'

will show how many word are in the index.

> Do I need to break up the indexes into smaller one?
>
> I am indexing simple text files they are less than 20K, but there is about 3 million them

Pushing the limits with 3 million files, I suppose.  How long does it
take to index?

I'll try and look later today at the code and see if anything jumps out
-- and possibly make available a patch to give better debugging info.