Re: Using swish-e by cgi

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Thu Apr 15 2004 - 15:00:36 GMT
On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 07:19:02AM -0700, Claude Taigny wrote:

> I have a project on Sourceforge and I want to allow from the web site that
> people can search a certain swish-e index I have - call it mydata.idx : is
> the following correct ?
> 1) I need to log into my SF account and install a Linux version of swish-e ?

Right, although it's not really a Linux version -- you use the source
tar.gz file.  It's important to follow the instructions when installing
swish, which is the easy way to do it.

If you have to index PDF and Word documents then you will have to
install additional tools not included with swish-e.

> 2) Then I need to upload my index file and put a Perl script in ~/cgi-bin
> that will call swish-e ?

Normally you would just create the index in place, so no uploading of
the index file would be needed.  If you are indexing from another
location then yes you would copy the index file to your sf.net account.

> 3) Then I need to make a html form whose the submit button will call my Perl
> script ?

Yes, if you want a search box on your web pages.

> I'd be happy for the moment getting this far - eventually I need to make a
> script to change the search results into urls ...
>
> Thanks for any help (or any pointers to a step-by-step guide on internet).

Sure, how about the installation instructions:

  http://swish-e.org/current/docs/INSTALL.html

And then specifically:

  http://swish-e.org/current/docs/INSTALL.html#GENERAL_CONFIGURATION_AND_USAGE

And then a specific example: