Re: Error running swish-e as cron job

From: Greg Fenton <greg_fenton(at)not-real.yahoo.com>
Date: Wed Apr 14 2004 - 19:56:38 GMT
--- Bill Moseley <moseley@hank.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 09:04:13AM -0700, Greg Fenton wrote:
> > #!/bin/bash
> >
> > MAILTO="address_to_email_on_error@mydomain.com"
>
> Does that work?  That's not in cron's environment?  I think that will
> only work in the crontab (and if your version of cron supports
> MAILTO).

Nope, you are right, that won't work...I cut out a lot of what I
typically do in a shell-script.  I tend to use the "mail" command
myself directly instead of relying on cron.

I also tend to capture output to a file if I want it and mail it to
myself or I direct it to /dev/null (unless I truly want to have cron
email it to me...but see the above paragraph).

I just believe that keeping control of everything within my script is
the best way to go...that way I can run the script via other methods
too (no just cron).

> > PERL5LIB="$PERL5LIB:/usr/local/my_swish_install/lib/perl5"
>
> Is there anything in the default swish-e installation that requires
> that?  I tried to get rid of the need to set any perl library paths.

Likely not.  Again, I just smoked up the example.

> I like to do:
>
>   cd /path/to/search/dir && swish-e -c conf -S prog -v0 || exit

To be honest, I actually code the *entire* path to most commands so I'd
have "/usr/local/bin/swish-e -c conf".  Or, to be even more accurate, I
create variables for each command and use the variable in my script:

   SWISH_CMD=/usr/local/bin/swish-e
   cd /path/to/search && $SWISH_CMD -c conf -S prog

Using "|| exit" is completely valid.  Typically I'll add an exit code
like "|| exit 1" to let cron know that an error occured.  But then
again, see my first paragraph in this response.

> But, my shell skills suck, so I'm sure there's more clever ways to do
> this.

They seem quite sane to me.

greg_fenton.

=====