Re: Calculate #TMP files generated during indexing?

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Wed Apr 14 2004 - 16:04:10 GMT
On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 07:45:13AM -0700, John Haymaker wrote:
> Is there a way to calculate the number of temp files created while =
> SWISH-E is indexing and/or merging?

I was going to ask if you are using -e or not.  -e uses a lot more files
(hundreds more).  Something makes me think that merge uses -e
automatically, though.

> This is an issue for me because my =
> webhost charges according to number of files on a site as well as the MB =
> being used.

What, are they short on integers?  Anyone want to buy an inode?

> Our site has 30,000+ pages.  We have several indexes, but get the =
> message "user block quota exceed" when creating the largest index and =
> when trying to merge several smaller indexes.

Well, you at least double your index usage during indexing.  Swish
indexes to a temporary file and renames it when complete.

> If I could calculate how many temp files SWISH-E creates during =
> indexing/merging, then I could purchase the required "file limit" with =
> the disk space.

Is your use of /tmp included in your quota?

I don't know the exact number of files but ls | wc -l would tell you
while indexing.