Re: swishe rank

From: Peter Karman <karman(at)not-real.cray.com>
Date: Tue Mar 30 2004 - 16:31:53 GMT
Since this is now a list issue...

Here's what I've been reading:

http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~georgem/hilltop/
http://searchenginewatch.com/webmasters/article.php/2167961
http://www-db.stanford.edu/~backrub/google.html
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2003/08/21/better_search_engine.html
http://www.metamend.com/search-engine-feedback-algorithm.html

and so on. I googled for those with 'search engine algorithms'.

The two biggest things that stand out to me re: swishe are:

1. tracking links (usage and connectivity)

Most of these articles make a big deal out of determining a page's
"authority" based on how many links there are *to* the page amongst the
document set. I don't know how much that would affect SWISH-E since I
assume most folks have smallish document sets anyway. But I think it
would be useful to investigate.

2. smart queries

Keeping track of what users actually enter as queries feels important,
in determining how users actually use the search tool. This seems
obvious, but I think tracking that data would go a long way toward
making SWISH-E features like Buzzwords, Stopwords and MetaNamesRank work
a lot more effectively.

That's where I'm at so far.

pek