Re: PropertyNames in C-API?

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Wed Mar 10 2004 - 21:33:02 GMT
On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 12:43:51PM -0800, Jamie Herre wrote:

> Let me just make sure I'm understanding the difference between metas
> and props; metas are attributes recorded in the index and props are a
> subset of metas which are available in results?

Kindof.

They are really two different unrelated things, but for (unknown)
historical reasons they are stored in the same table (called the meta or
metaname table).  Confusing, yes.

All we really want is to provide access to that table, but make it look
like there's two tables.

That's why I'm saying we need a table of pointers to just the properties
and another table of pointers to just the metanames.  That will make it
easy to just return one or the other.

Then in the Perl API would need to create two new classes of objects,
like SWISH::Prop and SWISH::Meta and provide methods for each.  Things
like $object->name and $object->id can use the same function since they
access the same data structures for both metas and props.

Make any sense?  Sounds like fun, but I don't have any time for a few
days to look at it.