Re: Trying to run spider.pl with self-defined config

From: Thomas Dowling <tdowling(at)not-real.ohiolink.edu>
Date: Sat Mar 06 2004 - 16:58:58 GMT
Bill Moseley wrote:

>On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 10:20:44AM -0500, Rob de Santos AFANA wrote:
>

>>Probably the conversion of certain non-text characters by one of the
>>mail programs along the way ...
>>=20  is hex 20 or ascii 32 (space)
>>=3D  is hex 3D or ascii 62 (>)

Not to cavil, but  =3d -> hex 3d -> 61 -> equals sign.  IOW: =3D = "=".
:-)

>Oh, right.  I suspected as much.
>
>Irememberbackintheolddaysofemailwhenyoujustcouldnotusethespacekey!
>
>Nice someone came up with a way to represent a space in just four
>characters.

Ah, but at least you know it's a space supplied in the original message
and not the result of some line-breaking/rewrapping function somewhere
along the line.

I believe this is actually an artifact of how the Berkeley SunSITE's
listproc removes undesirable attachments and sends only the part of the
message it considers to plain text.  Either the original is encoded as
quoted-printable without the appropriate Content-Transfer-Encoding
header, or the listproc is ignoring (or doesn't know how to handle) that
header.  I'm guessing it's the antique and much-patched listproc
software that's at fault.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling@ohiolink.edu