Re: Swish-e/SwishCtl on Japanese version Win98

From: Greg Ford <greg(at)not-real.reddfish.co.nz>
Date: Fri Feb 27 2004 - 22:07:15 GMT
Hi Marissa

> I'm hoping someone can help me.  We are using a Swish-e/SwishCtl version
> for a software help file to be installed on the customer's computer with
> our software.  It works fine on all OS platforms tested thus far,
> including Windows 2000 Chinese and German versions.  However, when we
> tried to install it on a Japanese version of Windows 98, we got the
> following error:
>
> "DLL could not be registered."

That looks like a problem with registering the OLE Control.
At what point did it occur?

> Any ideas or thoughts on fixing this?

Is it possible to register the file by running

   regsvr32.exe swishctl.dll

After that, you could probably get the application to run by
editing the registry (creating a reg file with the settings from
HKCU/Software/SWISH-E Team )

It is possible that you would need to recompile swishctl on
a Japanese version of Win98 (at least in order to debug).
Some of the registry key names and DLLs used by swishctl
may be "localised" in Far Eastern versions of Windows -
unfortunately, I have never worked with Japanese versions
of Windows, so I can't say much more than that.

Greg Ford

kernel32.lib user32.lib gdi32.lib winspool.lib comdlg32.lib advapi32.lib
shell32.lib ole32.lib oleaut32.lib uuid.lib odbc32.lib odbccp32.lib
./swish-e/src/win32/libswish-e.lib ../zlib/zlib.lib ../pcre/lib/libpcre.lib
/nologo /subsystem:windows /dll /incremental:no
/pdb:"ReleaseMinDependency/SwishCtl.pdb" /machine:I386 /def:".\SwishCtl.def"
/out:"ReleaseMinDependency/SwishCtl.dll"
/implib:"ReleaseMinDependency/SwishCtl.lib"