Re: UTF-8 support ?

From: Tim Freedom <tim_freedom(at)not-real.yahoo.com>
Date: Thu Feb 19 2004 - 19:55:47 GMT
--- Bill Moseley <moseley@hank.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 01:47:32AM -0800, Tim Freedom wrote:
> > Can we expect to see UTF-8 indexing/searching anytime soon ?
>
> Not likely.  It would probably be easier to do a complete rewrite than
> to add UTF-8 support.  A lot of the code expects characters to be single
> bytes.

Is there anyway to change that - I'd be willing to help out (as I'm
sure others would as well) since this is a great benefit adder to
the entire non-ASCII community.  Most (if not all) applications
now support UTF-8 and it would be rather shameful to have to dump
swish-e for something else on this account.

As 3.0 is a complete new revision, wouldn't a "major" rewrite be
warranted anyway to add this seemingly important feature ?  Is it
possible that the issue is a bit mysterious and maybe a simple
testcase and some sample code be appropriate to give this topic
a much needed push forward ?

Regards,

 .tf.