Re: Probs with xml-marc format

From: Thoreau Lovell <tlovell(at)not-real.sfsu.edu>
Date: Fri Feb 13 2004 - 20:02:08 GMT
It would be great If someone on your end could write a perl script to
tackle some or all of this problem. The server I'm using is running Red Hat
9.0, perl 5.8.0., and Apache 2.0.40

I'm interested in pursuing the xslt option, as well. Could you recommend
some tools / texts to get started. I'm pretty comfortable with scripting,
such as Java Script, PHP, ASP, but don't have any C or Java experience.

Thanks for all you help and suggestions.

Thoreau

>On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 09:53:15AM -0800, Thoreau Lovell wrote:
>
> > What I meant when I said swish-e had trouble with the
> > xml-marc format is that it would recognize <datafield> and <subfield> as
> > elements, but not the xml-marc identifiers such as "022," "245,"210",
> which
> > are ISSN, Title, Alt Title. The problem is that these are <datafield> /
> > <subfield> values, which swish-e doesn't seem to be able to distinguish.
>
>Swish will just look at them as tags.  The attribute values can be
>indexed as well with XMLClassAttributes -- or should be able to.  I just
>did a quick check and it seems like that feature might be broken.
>Still, XML is too general of a way to represent data for swish-e to
>understand.
>
> > Do you think using MetaNames and UndefinedMetaNames will solve this
> > problem once each journal is in an separate file?
>
>Yes.  You just format the data as you like.
>
> > In any case it looks like I'm about to get a quick introduction to xml
> > transformations!
>
>Maybe someone here can put together a small perl script for you.  What
>kind of operating environment do you have?  I.e. what OS and is it
>up-to-date and include Perl?
>

>--
>Bill Moseley
>moseley@hank.org

Thoreau Lovell
Digital Systems Design and Development Coordinator
J. Paul Leonard Library, San Francisco State University
415-338-2285 | tlovell@sfsu.edu