API performance

From: Ahmad, Zeeshan (FMC) <Zeeshan.Ahmad(at)not-real.fmc.sa.gov.au>
Date: Wed Jan 21 2004 - 02:00:08 GMT
I have noticed considerable performance difference when using SWISH::API

Using API run time is 4.5 seconds
Using the binary run time is 0.5 seconds!

In both cases the index file is same. I am using 2.4.0 on Win 2K.

Also worth noting is the fact that while using swish-e binary fails when the
script is run via PerlIIS, it works when using API instead. When using the
binary I get the following error:

-----
open2: Can't call method "close" on an undefined value at
D:/Perl/lib/IPC/Open3.pm line 338

script line is:
my $pid = IPC::Open2::open2($rdrfh, $wtrfh, @command );
-----

Looking at some other posts windows forking seems to be problematic. Is it
due to the fact that when running via PerlIIS, script tries to fork but
fails because each forked process needs a unique id and all children created
would get IIS id? Just a wild guess...