Re: swish-e novice

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Fri Jan 16 2004 - 21:43:57 GMT
On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 12:35:13PM -0800, alung@citlink.net wrote:
> My first install of swish-e I've done on Microsft 2k.  I'm hope to end =
> up with everything on Linux but for now I don't have much choice. =20

Yes, choice is what it's about.  Just hide the linux box in a corner and
nobody will know.

> This is what I need http://www.swish-e.com/current/docs/searchdoc.html , =
> how do I create a search box to reference my indexes?

That's part of the swish-e package - well, it's probably in the source
package.  Yes, in the html directory there Makefile.am and it has a
target:

# Target to build searchable HTML docs
searchdoc :
        cp $(libexecdir)/swish.cgi $(htmldir)
        ( cd $(htmldir) && \
                $(PERL) split.pl | $(bindir)/swish-e$(EXEEXT) -S prog -i stdin -c swish.conf && \

split.pl reads all .html files in the local directory and splits them
into chunks (based on the HTML format of the swish-e documentation) and
feeds those split docs to swish for indexing.

And then swish.cgi is copied to the html directory.  searchdoc.html is
a HTML frame, of course.

That's all there is to it.  Oh, and swish.cgi is using these settings:

$ cat .swishcgi.conf
return {
    date_ranges => undef,

    template => {
       package     => 'SWISH::TemplateFrame',
    },

}

In other words, how that page is created is with this command:

  $ configure --prefix=$HOME/someplace && make install && cd html && make searchdoc

I actually have a script that does all that.