Novice question: unknown MetaNames error

From: Julie Wetherill <julie(at)not-real.gentoo.harvard.edu>
Date: Thu Jan 15 2004 - 23:10:42 GMT
Apologies for what must be a newbie question, but I didn't find anything in
the SWISH-e archives.

I'm testing the indexing/retrieval of metadata in my documents (html and
pdf). I set up a swish-e conf file that includes this directive:

MetaNames description keywords

and have a small number of html files containing metadata tags, for example:

When I run a search from the command line that includes a metaname, e.g.:

swish-e -w description=acquisitions -f metadata.index

I get the error:

# SWISH format: 2.2.3
# Search words: description=acquisitions
err: Unknown metaname: 'description'

I know the indexing of these documents is working. I can search for the
metadata values as plain text and get results. But searching by any
metaname that I define in the conf file always fails with the above error.

I have tried enclosing description=acquisitions in single/double quotes,
same outcome. I also have pdfs that by default contain some Dublin Core
metadata tags (e.g., "dc:description"). I'm hoping these also can be
handled via the MetaNames directive, but I can't even get the simple html
metadata tags to work. What is wrong here? And assuming I can fix the
simple case, does anyone know if the DC metadata will work using MetaNames?

Thanks for any help you can provide.  --julie

Julie Wetherill
Office for Information System
Harvard University Library
1280 Massachusetts Ave., Suite 404