Re: Change in way undefined properties are handled

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Thu Jan 15 2004 - 01:50:06 GMT
On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 07:06:46PM -0600, Peter Karman wrote:
> how hard would it be to parse the -x string prior to the search, to make
> sure it is valid for the particular index? I don't know if it's worth it
> if the (null) isn't that big a problem.

Not too hard to pre-process the properties (-p does that and is why it
can report the error early on).  It would be good as currently there's a
propertyname -> prop_id lookup for every result (and every property).

But for displaying 20 results on a page I doubt it slows things down
much having to lookup by property name.

It's also a bit tricky because the -x format string contains not only
property names but also any text to fit between the displayed
properties.  Again, minor problem.

The problem I started to fix was <somedate fmt="%Y %d"> when somedate
was blank, and that's fixed.  The (null) thing is not really that big of
a deal.  It's just not very elegant way to represent undefined value.