WMI, Swish-E, and Incremental Indexing

From: Deane Barker <dbarker(at)not-real.siouxfallscommercial.com>
Date: Fri Jan 09 2004 - 16:12:31 GMT
Here's a theory.  I'm not actually doing this, but I stumbled onto WMI, and so this line of thought followed:

Using the Windows Management Instrumentation, you can capture file events from NTFS.  You can effectively run a script whenever a file is added to a directory, deleted from a directory, or modified in a directory.  Here's an example:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/scrguide/sas_fil_lifi.asp

Using this, couldn't you finagle incremental indexing with Swish-E?

Since you can run a script when a file is added, could that script index just that one file to a separate index, then merge that index with the main index?

Wouldn't this give you roughly the same effect as, say Microsoft Indexing Service whereby new files suddenly appear in the index after just a few minutes?

Again, nothing pressing here, I'm just following up on a hunch.

Deane Barker
Director of Marketing and Information Systems
NAI Sioux Falls Commercial
300 N. Dakota Ave, #400
Sioux Falls, SD 57104
(605) 357-7100