Re: resources problem osx

From: J Robinson <jrobinson852(at)not-real.yahoo.com>
Date: Thu Jan 08 2004 - 22:26:21 GMT
Hello All;

This 'too many open files' problem when using '-e'
seems to still occur on modern OS X 10.3
installations. Some digging around on google indicates
that the maximum amount of open files per process on
OS X is 256.

I found that by changing MAX_LOC_SWAP_FILES to 179 and
recompiling I no longer got the 'too many open files'
error when using economy mode. (I figure it's good to
use a prime number of files to help even distribution.
Other 'prime' candidates are 199, 223, 233, 239, 241
and 251).

Maybe MAX_LOC_SWAP_FILES should be lowered in
config.h, or set appropriately from the configure
script?

Thanks for a great tool,
  jrobinson

On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 04:13:20AM -0700, Rolf
Schatzmann wrote:
> Hi there,
> =20
> I am trying to use swish to index a ridiculously
large collection of PDF
> files on a MacOSX Server (X-Serve)
> =20
> All was going well until Swish-E ran out of memory
whilst building the
> index, no problem I thought, I'll just use the
economy mode.
> =20
> Unfortunately now I get the too many open files
error from the System.
> =20
> On linux this would be easy to fix, however I have a
bad feeling that =
> under
> OSX (aka BSD) I have to re-compile the kernel to
change this value. Does
> anyone know for sure if I can increase the max open
files without
> re-compiling the kernel or have any other clever
suggestions..

I don't know. I suppose you need to ask on a BSD/OS X
list. Please
post back here when you find out.

You can set the number of temp files used with -e in
config.h:

#define MAX_LOC_SWAP_FILES 377