Considering Swish-E - Looking for Input (plain text)

From: Thibodeau, Ryan <ryan.thibodeau(at)not-real.onlineathens.com>
Date: Tue Jan 06 2004 - 21:24:40 GMT
Hello.

I'm shopping around for a search engine for our Intranet, and Swish-E
has definitely caught my attention. Our current Intranet runs on a
450Mhz Gateway PC running NT Server 4.0 and IIS. Obviously it is
antiquated and tragically slow, and needs to be upgraded. I'll be moving
the Intranet to a new Sunfire running Solaris 9 and Apache, and I'm
hoping Swish-E will suit my needs.

We're a daily newspaper, and I'll be using the Index/Search tool for
indexing and searching the daily stories from our web site. The current
IIS Index has 300,000+ records, and of course this data will have to be
re-indexed on the Sun box. I've read that Swish-E works great with HTML
pages, but can it handle an index that large? I'm hoping so.

Also, I'll need a search interface, and I see that there are several
third party interfaces that have been written. Can anyone recommend a
stable interface that is somewhat customizable?

Thanks for any input/reccomendations.

Ryan Thibodeau