Using '*' wildcard in phrase searches...

From: David Wood <dwood(at)>
Date: Mon Jan 05 2004 - 21:03:38 GMT
Sorry if this is a real RTFM'er...

I know you can't use a '*' in the middle of a word, but can you use a '*'
at the end of a word in the middle of a phrase, like:

"sneezle* weezle"

I always thought this was a no-no, but it seems to work fine.  Could
somebody please confirm that?

Also, just one small query parser thing I noticed (Bill M. is going to say
"hey, how about some help fixing the query parser?" here ;-); sorry, I wish
I could...):

$ swish-e -w 'a*b' -f news.idx
.. gives ...
err: Wildcard not allowed within a word

$ swish-e -w '"a*b"' -f news.idx
.. gives ...
err: no results

But a '*' in the middle of a phrase word is just as not allowed as a '*' in
the middle of a non-phrase word, right?

Version is 2.4.0 on HP-UX 11.0.

to a plain text message.