Re: removing or disembling email addresses

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Fri Jan 02 2004 - 18:27:54 GMT
On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 10:02:01AM -0800, Frances Coakley wrote:
> Having now lost a good email address by using it on this board (most of you
> will by now have been spammed - which has to be via the archive as that is
> only googled use of it) might I suggest that you remove or hide email
> addresses in the archive as most other boards now do - must admit my fault
> I forgot to check on archive before using it
> Frances Coakley - website http://www.manxnotebook.com

I've been asking our host (U.C. Berkeley) to upgrade our mailing list
software and archive program for about a year now.

Sorry you are getting spam, though.

Of course, there's nothing to prevent a spammer from just subscribing to
the list to harvest email.  Spam is not an easy problem to solve.  Doing
"moseley (at) hank (dot) org" is probably not that hard for spammers to
parse.  I saw a list archive someplace the other day where you have
to click on a button (and set a cookie) before viewing a list archive.
I suppose spammers could get by that, too.

Google pulls up about 10,000 hits for my email address, luckily I'm
running exim+SA+procmail and only see a handful each day.  It's a minor
inconvenience for me.  I spend more time answering FAQs....