Re: swish-e problem

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Mon Dec 29 2003 - 15:52:46 GMT
On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 06:58:15AM -0800, Steve Terapak wrote:
> Ok so I have succesfully installed SWISH-E 2.4.0.  I have indexed my =
> site everything was very
> straight forward.  I have used swish.cgi and customized the swish-cgi.pl =
> perl script to integrate
> with my site.  Then after a day I get the 'Service currently unavailable =
> '  from the swish.cgi which normally
> indicates an improper configuration but nothing has changed.  I have =
> done the command line debugging
> by setting the SWISH_DEBUG environment variable and everything is fine.  =
> This leads me to think
> it's a problem with web server permissions but nothing has worked out.  =
> To top it off I have no idea
> where the error_log is for apache on my host.  Has anyone run into this =
> before?

Are you running on Windows?

Regardless, the log file is set in the Apache config file (httpd.conf
most likely).  You can often find out where that is by using the ps
command to find the arguments passed to Apache on startup.  Some ISPs
hide PS output, which I find silly.

When swish.cgi gives that message it also writes the problem to stderr,
which should be your Apache log file.

You really need to know where you error log files are located.

If you are running on an ISP that won't let you see the log files then
you can modify swish.cgi to reopen STDERR to a file as the start of the
script.  Something like:

  open( STDERR, '>/path/to/my/log.file' ) || die "Can't reopen stderr $!";

Post back here what you find, OK?  It's helpful for the next person.