Re: SWISH - IE -Integration - possible?

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Fri Dec 12 2003 - 19:10:05 GMT
On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 10:47:27AM -0800, David Wood wrote:
> On that kmapper page I noticed this on the to-do list:
>     * improve the accuracy of SWISH-E by adding synonyms for search terms
> from the WordNet thesaurus
>
> We're actually looking for something similar, not necessarily WordNet but
> at least some kind of search term synonym/thesaurus handling...  Possible
> addition to the Swish-e 3.0 proposed enhancement list?  Of has anybody out
> there done something like this already with Swish-e?

I have only briefly looked at WordNet, but I'm wondering how it would
work with swish.

I'm working on the stemmer code right now and wondering if synonym
support could work as a stemmer.  The stemmers basically take a number
of different words and converts them into a single word.  So, for words
like running or runs or run the stemmer converts those into a single word
and stores that word in the index.  And when you search any of those
words the stemmer again converts to that single word when searching the
index.  So that could work for some small lists of synonyms.

I can't really see how that would work for WordNet -- as it seems to
generate so many cross references.