Re: mysql and swishe

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Thu Dec 11 2003 - 23:53:11 GMT
On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 02:16:18PM -0800, Peter Karman wrote:
> I'm hoping for some feedback from swish-e users out there who are also
> using mysql.

I'm sure others can offer more.

I have not used MySQL's full-text searching.  I have heard mixed
results.  Swish-e probably is faster and has more options since that's
all it does.

I saw a year or so ago in some magazine (Sys Admin? Linux Journal?)
where someone wrote a full-text search engine with MySQL - not using
the mysql full-text feature.  They were parsing the text into individual
words and placing the words into a table.  They could do phrase searches
and generate a summary (a few words around the hit word).  I really
wanted to try it as I just imagined it to be very slow.  I looked in my
old stack of magazines the other day but couldn't find it -- I really
wanted to try it.  Maybe google could find it.