Re: problem installing SWISHE module

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)>
Date: Thu Dec 11 2003 - 06:17:34 GMT
On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 04:47:01PM -0800, Brad Miele wrote:
> Hi,
> I am setting up some new machines, and I installed the new 2.4.0 release,
> as well as the SWISH::API module. Then, realizing that i would have to
> rewrite some not small chuks of my code to use the new perl module, I
> decided to go back to 2.2.3 and the

Hi Brad,

A while back I wrote a pure Perl replacement module that works
with SWISH::API.  I wrote it for just this need, but also somewhat
thought it might never get used.  It turned out not that hard to rewrite
my code to use SWISH::API directly.

You might be able to use that module until you feel like rewriting your
existing code.

Not that "make test" will fail.  It's looking for the wrong index file
"../tests/test.index".  To get the tests to pass you have to modify the file in that module distribution.  First make sure you have
swish-e-2.4.0 unpacked some place and that make test works there.

Then edit the SWISHE-0.03/ file.  For example, if you built
swish-e in /home/brad/swish-e modify this line in from:

    my $indexfilename1 = '../tests/test.index';

    my $indexfilename1 = '/home/brad/swish-e/tests/index.swish-e';

and then run make test (after building the module).

The README says:

  The SWISHE module (this module) is not a simple interface
  to the SWISH::API module.  It is provided for those that
  were using the SWISHE module with Swish-e version < 2.3.

I think that is my famous typo:  s/not/now/;

> Can't load 'blib/arch/auto/SWISHE/' for module SWISHE:
> blib/arch/auto/SWISHE/ Undefined symbol "SwishSearch" at
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.1/i386-freebsd/ line 229.
>  at line 13

That would make me think it's not linking to the correct library.  With
2.3 you have to run "make install-lib" (IIRC, check the INSTALL document
to make sure).

Bill Moseley