Re: Creating a .swishcgi.conf file

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Tue Dec 09 2003 - 13:59:37 GMT
[I'm cc'ing back to the swish-e list]

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 08:10:43AM -0500, Matt Torbin wrote:

> MetaNames author title subject creationdate
> PropertyNames author title subject creationdate

Ok, so that's indexing those metaname, and also storing those properties
in your index so they can be displayed in each result.

> In my CGI file, I have the following directives:
>
> display_props   => [qw/swishdocpath author title subject creationdate/],
>
> metanames       => [qw/ swishdefault swishtitle swishdocpath author title subject creationdate/],

> However, this is what I'm getting back as a result:
>
> 1 30_4_2_6.pdf -- rank: 1000
>
>     Document Path:	/pdfs/30_4_2_6.pdf
>     author:
>     title:
>     Message Subject:
>     creationdate:

Well, that's not enough info for me to help.

Sorry to keep referring you to the docs, but the DEBUGGING section:

  http://swish-e.org/current/docs/swish.html#DEBUGGING

should walk you through how to find out why the above isn't working.  In
fact, two sections before that is INSTALLATION that describes how to
test that your index works.  So basically, the process is like this:

1) create your swish.conf file to control what gets indexed
2) index your files
3) search the index form the command line to make sure you get back
   the data you think.  Use -p or -x to list properties in your
   search results.  There are also -T options (run -T help) for listing
   properties associated with a given file.

Once you do that you know that you have a good index.  Move on to
swish.cgi.

4) run swish.cgi without changing any parameters.  You do this first
   so you know later if a problem is related to changes you made.
   If you were careful in step 3 above all should work (e.g. you
   saw that there was a swishdescription property).

5) now edit either swish.cgi or create a .swishcgi.conf file and adjust
   settings (typically display properties, sort properties, and
   metanames.  using .swishcgi.conf is nice because you can rename it
   if things don't work and go back and verify that the default setup
   works.

   When creating a .swishcgi.conf it's often best to copy-n-paste
   the parts you want to modify from swish.cgi into .swishcgi.conf.

6) run swish.cgi again and see what's up.  Check your web server's error
   log for messages.  If things do not work you should run swish.cgi
   from the command line.

     http://swish-e.org/current/docs/swish.html#DEBUGGING

   describes how you can enable specific debugging features by
   setting the environment variable SWISH_DEBUG.

   Basically,  what you are interested in is if the command that
   swish.cgi generates is what you expect (i.e. you see the
   properties output as you did when running swish-e from the command
   line.

       # show the swish-e output
       $ SWISH_DEBUG=output ./swish.cgi >/dev/null

   BTW -- the "command" debug option doesn't display the -x parameters
   at this time because the way swish.cgi optionally uses SWISH::API.
   I'll fix that for 2.4.1.

7) Once you see that swish-e is returning the correct properties
   then it's probably an issues with your a the template file.
   The properties listed in "display_props" are only displayed by
   default with the default output template 'SWISH::TemplateDefault'
   'SWISH::TemplateHTMLTemplate' can automatically do it with a minor
   patch to that module.