Relevance anomaly?

From: Roy Tennant <roy.tennant(at)not-real.ucop.edu>
Date: Thu Nov 20 2003 - 19:36:36 GMT
We're using swish-e to search a collection of books and I've discovered
an odd thing with relevance that I'm trying to puzzle out. The
following search on "freud":

http://texts.cdlib.org/cgi/searchallbooks.pl?
search=freud&mode=book+text&sort=relevance

returns a list of books, with the 439th result being the book "Freud
and His Critics". That book is rife with the word, and yet it is ranked
very low. I have verified that it is not my CGI that is doing anything
funny, as a command line search provides the same results. Why is that
particular book ranked so low, when it has something on the order of
almost twice as many occurrences of the word "freud" in it as the
top-ranked book?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Roy Tennant