Re: swish-e 2.4.0 seg fault followup/ resolution

From: David L Norris <dave(at)not-real.webaugur.com>
Date: Mon Nov 10 2003 - 14:34:17 GMT
On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 06:44, Dave Stevens wrote:
> I suppose my question is, what compiler version are you using to build
> swish-e under RH9?  I'm using gcc 3.2 in both the 9 and 7.3 installs and
> the  7.3 install under that glibc works as expected.

My system is mainly RH9 + errata.  I try to avoid replacing RH-provided
packages with those from other sources.  Although, I have in a few cases
where there was good reason.  I will note that my original glibc upgrade
to 2.3.2-27.9 was done manually to avoid (i386 vs. i686) problems.  I'm
very careful about upgrading glibc or kernel.  ;-)

Here are packages I'm using on RH9:
$ rpm -q gcc glibc libxml2 zlib pcre
gcc-3.2.2-5
glibc-2.3.2-27.9
libxml2-2.5.11-1.dag.rh90
zlib-1.1.4-8
pcre-3.9-10

I upgraded libxml2 from Dag Wieers for some reason.  I forget why.
Seems like it was something important, though.

> That's a good idea.  Some engineers from Sun working around the issue are
> setting LD_ASSUME_KERNEL to 2.4.1, it will disable NPTL.

Looking at Sun's bug report #4885046 it seems that their problem was
that their build system was based on an outdated binutils.  Under
evaluation it says, "See also 4938816. ... The fix for 4938816 is to
build gcc with a newer binutils package.  Using that gcc to build JDK,
xxxxx@xxxxx has verified that it also fixes this bug."  Doesn't J2SE
1.4.2 fix that issue?  I'm running J2SE 1.4.2_01 SDK with Sun ONE Studio
5 and many other complex Java apps without any problems.  No segfaults
at close, etc.

I don't believe SWISH-E itself uses any of the effected system calls.
Although some program loading the SWISH-E .so certainly might.  I'm not
sure how their problem might relate to yours but it could.  (e.g. Are
you trying to load libswish-e.so from some interpreted language that's
built with the outdated GCC/Binutils combo?)

Trying it on Fedora Core wouldn't be a bad option, also.  I've upgraded
my laptop to FC1.  I plan to test things as time permits. Here's what a
clean FC1 install looks like:
$ rpm -q gcc glibc libxml2 zlib pcre
gcc-3.3.2-1
glibc-2.3.2-101
libxml2-2.5.11-1
zlib-1.2.0.7-2
pcre-4.4-1

> As a swish user for at least the last four or five years, let me know if
> there is anything I can do to assist in this, or anything else for that
> matter.

Well, I'd like to know if you find the problem.

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/