Re: swish-e 2.4.0 seg fault followup/ resolution

From: David L Norris <dave(at)not-real.webaugur.com>
Date: Mon Nov 10 2003 - 09:32:39 GMT
On Sun, 2003-11-09 at 22:55, Dave Stevens wrote:
> There are a couple of significant issues with the current public RH9 glibc
> implementation.  ...  The issues with this are well documented,
> so I won't bother the list with them.  If anyone would like any pointers
> email me and I'll provide the info or elaborate on the list.

A pointer would be handy.  I'm curious since I've not experienced any
problems on RH9 with glibc-2.3.2-27.9.

> Engineers from RedHat insist that the current RC of the errata will work
> as expected but given the scope of the issues I'm not willing to install
> them just yet, even on a dev server.  They probably do work though I'd
> recommend the same to anyone else and take it a step further by suggesting
> that RH9 in the current public distribution is not yet suitable for
> production use in a commercial environment.  Close, but no cigar.

Rather than upgrade your system glibc you could install the RC RPM to
another location and use LD_LIBRARY_PATH just for your application.  At
least for testing purposes.

Install like this:
   rpm --root=/opt/updates -ivh --nodeps glibc-whatever.rpm
then run swish-e something like this:
   LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/updates/lib    /usr/bin/swish-e

You may need more directories in that PATH since glibc installs
libraries several places.

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/