possible problems with Swish-e searching instructions

From: Rossmann, Doralyn <doralyn(at)not-real.montana.edu>
Date: Fri Nov 07 2003 - 16:22:22 GMT
Hello!
I'm a systems librarian at Montana State University; I recently installed
swish-e at our site and found a problem in the documentation.  The page at:
http://www.swish-e.org/current/docs/SWISH-SEARCH.html states:
Order of Evaluation
Expressions are always evaluated left to right:

       swish -w "juliet not ophelia and pac" -f myIndex

retrieves files which contain ``juliet'' and ``pac'' but not ``ophelia''

However it is always possible to force the order of evaluation by using
parenthesis. For example:

       swish-e -w "juliet not (ophelia and pac)" -f myIndex

retrieves files with ``juliet'' and containing neither ``ophelia'' nor
``pac''.

These examples are both incorrect.  The search
swish -w "juliet not ophelia and pac" -f myIndex

would retrieve files with "juliet" and then it would subtract those
containing "ophelia" and then it would combine that whole result with pages
containing "pac."

The search swish-e -w "juliet not (ophelia and pac)" -f myIndex

would retrieve pages that have both "ophelia and pac" in them and then it
would subtract those pages from those pages with "Juliet" in them.  It would
NOT subtract pages with just "ophelia" or just "pac" in them.  So the
statement "retrieves files with ``juliet'' and containing neither
``ophelia'' nor ``pac''" is incorrect.

Am I misunderstanding the searching setup?

>From the Swish-e website, it looks like this list is where I'm supposed to
post problems.

Thanks!
Doralyn