Re: 2.4.0-pr4 RPMs, RH9

From: David L Norris <dave(at)not-real.webaugur.com>
Date: Sat Oct 25 2003 - 15:04:58 GMT
On Sat, 2003-10-25 at 09:32, moseley@hank.org wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 11:50:10PM -0700, David L Norris wrote:
> >
> > swish-e-perl is simply to reduce dependencies for those who don't need
> > PERL.  This package depends on something like 25 CPAN modules not
> > provided by Red Hat.
>
> What are the dependencies?  I can only think of a few module
> packages.  If there's more I'd like to add them to the docs.

Well, it's the optional packages that bite back with RPMs.  Because
nothing is optional with RPMs.  At compile time RPM runs a script which
attachs a dependency to anything that could ever possibly be invoked
from the installed files.  Which, in reality, probably isn't a bad
thing.

> This is what I can think of:
>
>     LWP  ( swishspider, spider.pl )
>     URI  ( spider.pl )
>     HTML::Parser ( swishspider, spider.pl )
>     HTML::Tagset ( spider.pl )

perl(HTML::LinkExtor)
perl(HTML::Parser) >= 3.00
perl(HTTP::Status)
perl(LWP::UserAgent)
perl(constant)
perl(strict)

These aren't a problem since I believe they are provided by Red Hat in a
default configuration.  Ah, here we go:
$ rpm -q --info perl-libwww-perl-5.65-6 | grep ^Packager
Packager    : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>

> Plus some optional modules:
>     Date::Calc  ( for date range feature in swish.cgi, if used )
$ rpm -q --requires perl-Date-Calc | grep ^perl
perl(Bit::Vector)
perl(Carp::Clan)
perl(Date::Calc)
perl(Date::Calc::Object)
perl(Date::Calendar::Year)
perl(DynaLoader)
perl(Exporter)
perl(strict)
perl(vars)

>     HTML::Template   ( swish.cgi, template optional )
$ rpm -q --requires perl-HTML-Template | grep ^perl
perl(Carp)
perl(File::Spec)
perl(integer)
perl(strict)
perl(vars)

>     HTML::FillInForm ( for sticky forms with HTML::Template )
$ rpm -q --requires perl-HTML-FillInForm | grep ^perl
perl >= 0:5.005
perl(Carp)
perl(HTML::Parser) >= 3.26
perl(integer)
perl(strict)
perl(vars)

>     Template ( Template-Toolkit, template optional )
$ rpm -q --requires perl-Template-Toolkit | grep ^perl
perl >= 0:5.004
perl >= 0:5.005
perl(AppConfig)
perl(CGI)
perl(Cwd)
perl(DBI)
perl(Data::Dumper)
perl(Exporter)
perl(File::Basename)
perl(File::Copy)
perl(File::Path)
perl(File::Spec)
perl(GD)
perl(GD::Graph::area)
perl(GD::Graph::bars)
perl(GD::Graph::bars3d)
perl(GD::Graph::lines)
perl(GD::Graph::lines3d)
perl(GD::Graph::linespoints)
perl(GD::Graph::mixed)
perl(GD::Graph::pie)
perl(GD::Graph::pie3d)
perl(GD::Graph::points)
perl(GD::Text)
perl(GD::Text::Align)
perl(GD::Text::Wrap)
perl(POSIX)
perl(Pod::POM)
perl(Template)
perl(Template::Base)
perl(Template::Config)
perl(Template::Constants)
perl(Template::Directive)
perl(Template::Document)
perl(Template::Exception)
perl(Template::Grammar)
perl(Template::Iterator)
perl(Template::Plugin)
perl(Template::Plugin::File)
perl(Template::Plugin::Filter)
perl(Template::Provider)
perl(Template::Service)
perl(Template::Stash)
perl(Template::View)
perl(Text::Autoformat)
perl(Text::Wrap)
perl(XML::DOM)
perl(XML::RSS)
perl(XML::Simple)
perl(XML::XPath)
perl(base)
perl(constant)
perl(overload)
perl(strict)
perl(vars)

>     MIME::Types ( SWISH::Filter, optional )
>     MP3::Tag ( For SWISH::Filter, optional filter )
>     Spreadsheet::ParseExcel ( SWISH::Filter, optional filter )
>     Date::Parse ( used in index_hypermail.pl, part of TimeDate package )
>     Compress::Zlib ( used in the MySQL.pl example )

These I'm having trouble finding.  So, either they didn't get picked up,
are provided in some other Perl RPM, or I installed from CPAN (and the
RPMs are going to fail to install ;-).  But, the last scenario is the
one I'm interested in knowing about.  Most of the CPAN modules are
trivial to package as RPM.

I may try installing RH9 RPMs to my laptop later today and see if it
works and/or says anything is missing.  Maybe there's some RPM query I
can run to see if all the dependencies are met by RPMs.  If nothing else
I could write a shell script to figure it out.

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/