Re: 2.x server

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Fri Oct 24 2003 - 19:52:51 GMT
On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 02:14:44PM -0700, Peter Karman wrote:
> I see in the future feature plans that a SWISH-E server is desired. Is
> there any current thinking about whether this is going to be done in
> Perl or C? I ask only because I have been playing with a Perl
> server/client system myself using the Socket modules. I wonder if any
> other developers out there have thoughts about the pros/cons of Perl vs.
> C for this kind of project.

Use Perl.  The modules that would be used for this are mostly a thin
layer to the C libraries, anyway.  So I really doubt speed would be an
issue.  If it is an issue then at that level I'd start wondering if
Swish-e was the right tool.

The pain with using Perl (in something like the swish-e distribution) is
that then there's extra (module) dependencies.  It's more work to get
Swish-e installed.  That's easier if swish-e is coming from rpm or debs
but for others it's more work.

I wonder how much of an advantage of using a server over embedding
swish-e in the application.  I suppose it would free up memory.

And someday, it would be good for someone to test the swish API in a threaded
environment.