Re: swish-e vs ASP.NET secured site

From: Seth Eilbott <seilbott(at)not-real.us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri Oct 24 2003 - 18:27:30 GMT
On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 01:04PM -0600, Ed Bomke wrote:
> We're evaluating search tools for use in our extranet, based on ASP.NET
/ C# .  We use forms authentication for the site, so any indexing solution
> coming through the front door would presumably need to deal with that
issue.  Has anyone out there been successful adapting swish-e for such a
> scenario ?  Any workaround which would leave swish-e as-is ?

Why would the indexing solution have to deal with authentication?  IMO,
the authentication should be separate from indexing and searching.

We use swish-e as the engine for indexing/searching here, on top of
an Apache server.  Apache itself (with plugins) performs ALL
authentication
and authorization functions before our application gets control; in fact,
our application knows NOTHING about it, aside from being given the
authenticated user name.  (If authentication fails, our app never even
gets invoked.)

Cheers,
  Seth

to a plain text message.