Re: Temporary files and RAM Disk

From: David L Norris <dave(at)not-real.webaugur.com>
Date: Thu Oct 23 2003 - 11:46:27 GMT
On Thu, 2003-10-23 at 05:09, Greg Ford wrote:
> I don't think mkstemp() is supported under Windows (at least not underVC++).
> I can't find it in the VC++ docs.

Nope, no mkstemp() in MSVC's runtime.  I pulled the one from GNU
libiberty.  It's in src/replace and automatically built into libreplace
if configure can't find a native mkstemp call.  (And it's hard-wired
into the MSVC projects.)

> I also suspect you are right about Windows not allowing open files being
> unlinked. Most likely all Windows versions are similar in this respect.

Yes, they call that a feature rather than a bug.  I suspect it's a
side-effect of their way of looking at files in a filesystem.  They have
this notion that a filename _is_ the file rather than just a
human-readable representation of the file.

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/